Wanna know what my ultimate pet peeve is?
It’s not any of these:
- hearing about the iPhone – I listen to tech podcasts from the US, and even they are tired of the damned thing, and now that it’s out in the UK I have listen to radio people mention it with their guests, who also have the thing
- slow, speed-limted trucks/lorries passing each other on an uphill gradient
- speed cameras
- cars with loud exhausts that drive by the house at night, reflecting their noise off the closely spaced brick terraced houses
- cars driving down the ‘no access’ street I live on
- not being able to sleep when I know I should really be sleeping
- drivers that don’t signal
- having to re-heat food that I thought I’d already heated, but isn’t heated enough? you know what I mean?
- drivers that jump out in front of me, forcing me to brake (if I didn’t have to brake and there’s room, I don’t mind, really)
- babies crying non-stop – I know they’re babies and what babies do is cry, but COME ON!
- iTunes – DRM-enabled, low-quality music that needs to be downloaded? No, thanks.
- falling behind on emails and personal correspondence with long-distance friends
- seemingly inattentive parents
- the Macarena
- modern pop music
- daytime telly (shows and adverts)
- bad year-end ‘best of (insert year here)’ compilations
- Tejano music – luckily the UK has a huge dearth of tejano!
- 99% of hip-hop music
- Christmas stuff that’s out way too early (I’m talking Halloween, here, folks)
- seeing the rubbish that people throw into the road – this morning I saw an empty file folder tossed into a bush! Really! A binder! In a bush!
- country & western music
- POP country & western music (C&W x2)
- puppy and kitten farms
- celebrities getting a slap on the wrist (Mike Tyson in jail for a day, Lindsay Lohan in jail for less than 90 minutes) while commoners getting sentences 10 years for cocaine possession
- the spate of police brutality and Taser abuse news I read every week
- fads that involve pets (clown fish, turtles, small dogs, etc.)
- people that don’t give a crap about the environment because “I’ll be dead when the ocean level rises, so why should I care?”
None of these things annoy me as much as…are you ready?
My number one, daily annoyance is the stupid instant coffee granules in the sugar container! First of all, instant coffee is terrible. If I were a coffee drinker, I’d be using a carafe or French press instead of lame instant coffee. However, I’m not a coffee drinker. I don’t like coffee. Not. At. All. Not liking coffee is is why I DON’T WANT TO HAVE COFFEE-FLAVORED TEA!!! Yes, I can taste it! And yes, I hate it!
I might have to make a sign…and people don’t like it when I make signs!
I am so tired of hearing about Diana and her death. Yes, she is perhaps the most famous person to have died in a car crash in the last 25 or so years, but NO ONE else I know at work is the least bit interested in the concerts (which just happened a month or two ago!), the specials, the articles, the papers, the magazines, the books, the clothes or anything at all. So why does it come up every month? Does anyone else care less than me and pretty much everyone I know?
At the time Di was really active with her good causes I was thinking ‘that’s great, good job’, but since the car crash it’s been all about the supposed conspiracy, the controversial books and more. There’s a whole industry of Diana that has been built up and shows no signs of slowing. If, tomorrow, Paris Hilton ran over Lindsay Lohan while Britney held a gun to her head and then the car went over a cliff, maybe that would dominate the news and we could all get sick of that, but eventually things would come back around to Diana.
Just so you know, I’m not heartless. I give to charities at work – at least a few quid a month on average, plus I’m a continuing member of the National Trust & English Heritage. I”ve donated to PBS. I used to be a member of the Sierra Club, the Nature Conservancy and a couple other environmental groups. I give to a different charity every month for a year – the RSPCA and Trust for the Blind in the past. I buy the RSPB pins and things. I shop at Oxfam. I donate my clothes instead of selling them. I buy fairtrade whenever possible. I’m also considering a trek on the Coast to Coast path for charity.
edit: Here’s a picture I snapped last Friday at my local Costco, just to show you the overall shove-it-down-your-throat level of Di-love we get here:
This Belgian woman had to be rescued by the local Coast Guard as dozens of people looked on (why none of them helped, well that’s another issue) because her chair had sunk into the gravel on the beach and she couldn’t get out. Click here for the original article.
Meanwhile, most Americans seem to think that being fat is just…considered normal! How freaking sad is that. No longer will there be ectomorph, mesomorph, etc., just heavyset, fat and fucking HUGE! C’mon folks. Lay off the Denny’s cuisine and go for a walk every now and then. Link here for the original article.
When I was growing up, one of the ‘dream jobs’ of the local military kids was to bag groceries and take them to people’s cars. With officers and their wives and everyone shopping at the base commisary, these kids knew they would get good tips if they worked even moderately hard. I never got a chance to do it, and I’m glad I never applied to be a bagger at any of the local non-military grocery stores. From what I was told, the kids got a very small amount of pay because it was expected they’d have really good tips.
Wal-Mart, however, they’re happy to let poor Mexican kids work for NO pay to bag and cart groceries for people who make about four bucks a DAY. FOUR dollars a DAY. That’s two British pounds a day for folks in the UK, about three euro fifty. That’s ridiculous. Apparently it’s legal because the kids are ‘volunteering’ but they’re basically just taking advantage of poor people to provide free services at their stores.
More at this story.
Folks, don’t shop at Wal-Mart. I love cheap prices and ridiculous deals as much as the next person, but they’re basically a Chinese company with American front-office staff. They treat their employees like shit, close small family-owned businesses in the areas they open up, don’t really care about organic certification, allow their workers in China to work in conditions no American would put up with, hire illegal immigrants and do loads of other not very nice things. All for the sake of higher and higher profits for their stockholders, not to save you anything.
Check out this video, Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices for some revealing info.
OK I’m not the most politically active person in the world, but just check out these headlines that someone on Reddit took the time to compile:
Do you people begin to realize what the fuck is happening?
Click the links to get to the news stories.
Someone I know is moving to the US soon, and you know what? I wouldn’t want to go back, not with this type of crap dominating the headlines. Or actually, NOT dominating the headlines. It’s only the subversive alternative media and journalists that are covering this type of thing, not the mainstream media.
When will it end? What will Bush turn the US into? When will people get tired of this shit?
I’ll just put it bluntly. Creationists are fucking morons. And anyone who is against stem cell research? More fucking idiots.
You know how Americans like to make fun of the French? Well, right now French scientists are repairing the damaged hearts of lab rats while fucking morons are pouring money into delusionary creationist museums that say dinosaurs and humans used to walk side by side.
Children in some places in the US are being taught that dinosaurs still exist, when the money used to fund creationist lunacy could go to starving families or disaster relief or…dare I say it…US stem cell research.