Yep, it’s Burn Night. Every 25th of January, fans of Robert Burns, Scotland’s most favorite son (and most famous poet) gather to recite Burns’ poetry, eat haggis and have whisky.
I’ll be celebrating in a bit with:
- the haggis I got from Costco
- neeps (mashed turnip with salt, pepper and butter)
- tatties (mashed potato with salt, pepper and butter)
- whisky (Glenfiddich 18-year old, yum)
- a couple of Burns poems (why the hell not! Traditionally, ‘Address to a Haggis’ and ‘Auld Lang Syne’ at a minimum, but many others in between – get them all at Project Gutenberg)
A complete running order with videos of past televised Burns Night Suppers is here on the BBC web site.
I won’t be piping in the haggis, but maybe a small toast, just for tradition, is in order!